Friday, September 24, 2010

Humble Pie- The Bicycle Edition

I live in a city and there are a lot of people who commute on bicycles. Although I wish I could do the same (I have to drive to work due to the location of my office), I sometimes get annoyed by these bikers. I get annoyed when they ride in the middle of two lanes of traffic stopped at a light, nervous when they don't signal that they are turning, scared when when they aren't wearing helmets (safety first!) or horrified the one time that someone grabbed my bumper to pull him up a hill. Or when there isn't enough space to pass and I get stuck going 15 miles below the speed limit.

This morning on the way to work I saw a guy on a bike (no helmet) riding in front of me. It is a tight street with a row of parked cars on each side and a lane of traffic in each direction. He was holding up traffic in one area of the road and, once it was safe, I went around him and continued on my way. Well, the biker caught up to me at the next red light and came over and knocked on my window.

My stomach fell to the floor. I was pretty sure he was going to yell at me for something I had done- passing him? Riding too close to the parked cars so that he couldn't get through and slow down traffic again?

No...what he said next really surprised me.

"Your back driver brake light is out. Just thought you might want to know!"

No comments:

Post a Comment